[etni] Fw: re: Teachers

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:21:21 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "byk" <byk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Teachers

In answer to Ruthie I would suggest that the English teachers form thier own
pressure group or union, and then resign en masse.  I believe that all the
teachers should do the same.  As was mentioned on the tv programme, the
strike last year demanded too little.  A starting salary of 7000 for
elementary school teachers was suggested.

The principal of Seminar Hakibbutzim said that soon the government will have
no choice, as the schools collapse for lack of teachers.  Those who can
afford it will move to private education, starting at around 600 NIS a
month,  Parents are already laying out similar sums for private teachers.

As was mentioned on the programme, the problems of education must be taken
seriously.  The teachers must be given decent salaries, and the numbers in
the classes must be reduced to 30 and below - not some time in the future.
NOW!  For the future of our children and grandchildren, we have to take
ourselves seriously and act.  I know it isn't easy, because some teachers
will have no money to live on.  I suggest they satrt looking for alternative
sources of income now.

Let me remiind you that a loong and painful strike in New York eventually
bore edible fruit.

Jennifer Byk

Jennifer wrote:
>I have just finished watching a programme on channel 23 in which the
> Principal of Seminar Hakibbutzim was being interviewed.  It appears that
> only 400 new elementary school teachers graduate every year from ALL the
> teachers' seminaries in the country, whereas 2000 a year are needed.  Why,
> he was asked?  Because the salaries are too low to live on!!
>Who said teachers aren't in a seller's  market?  The grandmother of one of
> the pupils I teach is the volunteer math teacher at her grandson's
> school -
> for the second year running!  There is no English teacher at the school of
> another student, so the head teacher has taken over.  Am I talking about
> Hatzor Haglilit?  Eilat? Ofakim?  No.  Right here in what is known as
> Bikat
> Ono - the wealthy centre of the country.
>Teachers,, be strong.  Wake up and get the message!

        Call for Articles
      The Etni Rag needs you