[etni] Fw: re: Suggestion for teachers

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 19:14:45 +0300

----- Original Message ----- From: Linda - lsk120@xxxxxxxxxxxx
=Subject: Re: Suggestion for teachers

How about adding the number of hours we spend of our "free time" marking exams, checking writing, projects/preparing lessons, etc.????? I finally finished TWENTY hours of marking all the exams/matconots from my classes and THEN I started calculating the "magenim" (that's another pet peeve of mine which I won't go into now- I initiated a poll on that a while back.) - and now it's not just one grade we have to give, but for each module(and also the oral). I also work in a college (as Jennifer mentioned; how many of us can make ends meet working in only one plac?) and my colleagues there can't fathom why I haven't left the high school system. Yes, like Jennifer brought out, all that pressure with an embarrassment called a salary. In fact, when I went for advice and to see if all my papers were in order as far as school was concerned, I was told that I wouldn't be able to live on my pension. To make sure I understood, he said, "I don't mean live nicely, I mean, you won't be able to live." Very comforting, no? .. and that's with a Masters!

We are all "freirim"!
And on that happy note,
Shabbat Shalom!
Linda Kuras Mizrahi

Jennifer wrote:
Allow me to make a suggestion to all you teachers working within the school
system.
GET YOUR SALARIES PUBLISHED.
In order to make them intelligible to the general public, state as well,what
the salary is for a full time teacher.  State what studies you have
completed to reach such salary 'heights' .
Explain what is involved in teaching that number of hours.  For example, how
many hours are you actually in school; how many hours of meetings; how many
hours of waiting for a free computer; etc.
Explain the good and the bad of a regular lesson.  Thee last time I worked
in a school, my one point bagrut class (10th grade), started the year with
20 chairs for 34 pupil.  We ended the yeear on the floor, with no chairs or
tables, - because after al, one pointers....
Explain how many teachers cannot get a full time job in one school, and
therefore have to run from school to school in order to make a 'living'
Explain how teachers' cars are often vandalized when parked outside the
school.
Explain why teachers 'can't control the class'.  This is often because they
have no official standing; they are not class teachers, level co-ordinators
and the like.  Not to mention that no realistic punishments exist.
Try to get one letter a day into each of the big dailies.
And try to get across to all those who say "But they only work x number of
days a year', what teachers do with all that 'free' time.
Try to paint the picture of pink-faced  smiling, optimistic teachers in the
teachers' rooms at the beginning of the year, and they grey-faced ghosts
thast in habit those same rooms round about now.  Teachers seem to be like
women giving birth: they forget what it felt like last time.

** Etni homepage - www.etni.org **