[etni] Fw: re: Our teachers and today's teachers

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:51:20 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: laurie ornstein - laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Our teachers and today's teachers

Indeed, the article jiggles one's mind.

Although I can't say "my teacher" was there as I went to school in Yonkers,
NY., I can say that it brings back memories of my first teaching job in
Jerusalem at Arlozorov Elementary School which no longer exists.

I was fresh out of school and advanced Ulpan but my Hebrew was far from up
to par with the true-to-the-word "Jerusalem teachers" ("morot
Yerushalmiyot") and all that description conjures up!  It's hard to find
that level of language around, anywhere, these days, including, sadly, too
many teachers' rooms. It was the best Ulpan I've ever had! These women were
icons of their time and town and I am forever grateful to have met and known
Ruth, Dora, Nitza, Miriam and the others. I know that they left their loving
and professional marks on their pupils, too.

Laurie