[etni] Fw: re: Intelligence or English

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:44:59 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Intelligence or English

wgh

Hi Janette,

Your point is well taken. But this is why for those whose ambition
is to understand soap operas and pop songs, the three and four point bagrut
is appropriate.  But for those who want to get to college level English,
it's just not going to cut it.  I recently saw the tests they give at one of
our universities for beginning, middle and higher level English--they would
blow you away.  All of them are way, way beyond the level of the G test.
The highest level, which all BA students must pass, is about 3 pages of
extremely sophisticated language--far beyond Time magazine--with tough
reading comp questions to boot.   See the New York Times editorials and book
reviews to get a sense.

And believe me, I'm all for the 3 point test.  For those kids it's needed
and challenging.  Not everyone needs to head off to univeristy.   On the
contrary.

All the best,

David