[etni] Fw: re: English Grammar Books

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:55:54 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barnett" <barnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: English Grammar Books

I think the best 'teaching grammar' for American English is Mary
Schrampfer-Azar's "Understanding and Using English Grammar." I used it for
over 25 years with my students at Michlalah-Jerusalem who were training to
be English teachers. They all loved it and said it was the best grammar book
they'd ever used. As it is also used in the USA as a university textbook for
overseas students wanting to improve their grammar proficiency it is highly
suitable for adults. Please feel free to ask more.

On the other hand, for a linguistics-oriented academic grammar go for
Randolph Quirk and Sidney Greenbaum's "University Grammar of English" (also
called "A Contemporary Grammar of English"). This is based on a corpus of
data fed into a computer some 30 odd years ago, I think, but provides very
thorough, interesting and illuminating reading if you are a devotee of the
subject.

Joe Barnett,
Linguistics Lecturer,
Michlalah-Jerusalem

Golan wrote:
>My name is Golan Orbi, and I have recently finished a B.A. Degree in
>English
>Linguistics.
>Nevertheless, I don't feel that I have full grip at the English grammar.
>There are so many books which deal with English grammar, and I find it very
difficult to choose the prefect one for me.
>I'm looking for the best American English grammar book to improve my
grammar.
>I have problems mainly with prepositions. As an Israeli it's hard to find
the correct preposition for verbs. (look AT, predilection FOR, etc.)
>Therefore, I prefer to have a book with examples of sentences, so I could
see how a word is inserted to a sentence.

** Issue #5 of The Rag is out:
   http://www.etni.org/etnirag/issue5.htm **

** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org **