[etni] Fw: re: 12th grade "Poetry Festival" - part 2

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 06:55:08 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "sarag" <saragabai@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [etni] fw: 12th grade "Poetry Festival" - part 2

The poetry presentations were this week.
(12th grade- 5 points)
It wasn't as good as I hoped for - some of the kids weren't in school that day, some of them forgot the presentations were due. (they had just come back from the school trip to Eilat).

But the few groups that did present did a good job (not wonderful, but good.)
An interesting side note - ever since they did the lyric project in the 10th grade, they seem to feel that they have to translate any poem / song they meet. So a few of them translated their poems to Hebrew!

one group did somethiing very interesting. it seems that one of the girls writes poetry (in hebrew). the poem her group choose reminded her of one she had written - so they translated it into english and discussed the 2 poems.

the others made posters or just talked - but they did enjoy it and I feel they learned something from it.

so - it was a good experience for them - and i will see how to make it even better next year.
sara g in israel
sarag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and also saragabai@xxxxxxxxx
Visit us at The E Zone
http://c3.ort.org.il/ganyavneenglish

Subject: 12th grade "Poetry Festival" - part 1

The first part of the "Poetry Festival" was wonderful.

I decided to bring printouts of about 20 poems (And not to bring poetry books and let them choose from the
books) so it would be more focused. The poems were by
Shakespeare, A.A. Milne, Sandburg, Whitman, Dickinson,
Blake, Frost and some other less-known poets. Some were ones I got to know at the CLASS course from the
American Embassy (highly recommended!!!).

We did this in a double lesson. The kids formed groups
of 2 or 3. I put 2 desks together and spread all the poems out. Each group chose a poem (some needed my help
here) . Then they read it, and started to plan the presentation.

I was very happy to see that they noticed a lot of
literary forms (not just rhyme and rhythm, but also
repetition, metaphors and more...). They enjoyed it !!
I walked around the room and listened and helped as
needed. When asked, they said that this was more
interesting than the whole class studying another poem
and writing an essay or something like that. AND - they will all be exposed to about 10 poems!

I am attaching the instruction sheet they received (and am sure David will put it up on ETNI).
www.etni.org/teachers/sara/PresentationPoem.doc

More to come - after the presentations!

Thanks to all the wonderful ETNIens who advised me and
helped plan this!

-------------------------------------------- Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org Send a message to the ETNI list: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Send queries and questions to: ask@xxxxxxxx --------------------------------------------