[etni] Fw: historic present

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 16:33:23 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Ruthi - rsheffer@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: historic present

exceprt from Damon Runyon

The Snatching of Bookie Bob”

“Now it comes on the spring of 1931, after a long hard winter, and times are
very tough indeed, what with the stock market going all to pieces, and banks
busting right and left, and the law getting very nasty about this and that,
and one thing and another, and many citizens of this town are compelled to
do the best they can.

“There is very little scratch anywhere and along Broadway many citizens are
wearing their last year’s clothes and have practically nothing to bet on the
races or anything else, and it is a condition that will touch anybody’s
heart.”

Yes, times are tough.

“ ‘Well,’ I say to Harry the Horse, ‘how are things going, Harry?’ ‘They are
going no good,’ Harry says. ‘We do not beat a race in four days. In fact,’
he says, ‘we go overboard to-day. We are washed out. We owe every bookmaker
at the track that will trust us, and now we are out trying to raise some
scratch to pay off. A guy must pay his bookmaker no matter what.’ ”