[etni] Fw: haaretz editorial

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:48:55 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Reuben Moses - mreuben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: haaretz editorial

Worth reading,
Nonananon
Reuben

An educational agenda
Haaretz Editorial

The sad truth about the teachers' struggle is that there will be no winners,
only losers. It matters little if the teachers' wages are raised or cut by a
few percentage points and if a few more instruction hours are added to the
curriculum. Ultimately, even if the teachers or treasury officials say
otherwise, the agreement they reach will be little more than cosmetic -
intended to cover up the pallor of a dying patient.

It has often been said that the education crisis poses a much greater danger
to the nation than any security threat. But a huge gap exists between the
rhetoric importance Israeli society places on education and its practical
attitude toward it. It is unfathomable, for example, that we, who are
prepared to investigate almost anything, haven't established an inquiry
committee to address the education crisis. Granted, nobody has died as a
direct result of the education crisis, but we are in danger of creating a
society of ignoramuses.

(To read the whole article, go to -
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/932140.html )

** Etni homepage - www.etni.org **