[etni] Re: Fw: extensive reading

  • From: Yisrael and Batya Medad <ybmedad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:07:12 +0200

At 21:24 30/11/03 +0200, Ask Etni wrote:
>of them, unattainable) levels, why not let them choose a book which they
>want to read and which has been written at a level that they feel
>comfortable with? What we may lose in vocabulary acquisition, we will gain
>in vocabulary reinforcement?and, more importantly, we might even manage to
>reduce student frustration.
>
>Andrew Wilson

Please contribute more and stop lurking.

You brought up some excellent points.  We're teaching a generation that
rarely reads books in the native tongue, so we have to make the book
reports less like punishment, or we're defeating their real purpose, which
is to encourage reading English.  Or are we only teaching for a good grade?

Batya