[etni] Fw: cursive handwriting

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:34:12 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: laurie ornstein - laurenmadeline@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: cursive handwriting

Hi All,

 I just got this message back from a friend and faculty member at BGU. She
had questioned whether we teach cursive handwriting at school. My response
was that it's more or less up to the teacher if and when to teach it. I
added that with all our dyslexic pupils, it was easier to leave it as they
could barely, if at all, deal with printing. She wrote back the following:

Far out! A whole generation of Israelis cannot write and read English as it
is commonly used in English speaking countries.

Let me say that at BGU I know that many classes are held in English and
taught in English. Many advisors are native English-speakers who use
cursive.

So, should we or shouldn't we? I truthfully, hadn't considered this issue.

Laurie