[etni] Fw: added points on Bagrut exams?

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 06:55:51 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: added points on Bagrut exams?

Firstly, many thanks to Ulpanat Tzfira who kindly opened their doors to our
10th, 11th, and 12th graders for three days of intensive study in all winter
Bagrut examination subjects!

Secondly, can anyone confirm what I have just read over the Internet on a
news site-- that Minister of Education Yuli Tamir announced today that 10
points will be given to each pupil in rocketed areas on each exam in
addition to "tosefet zman?" If so, I assume this is 10 points on each module
and NOT on the final, total bagrut grade? Does this include the oral exam?

What I'd like to convey to the "powers at be," after a second marathon day
of teaching straight until 4.00 with my rakezet, is that if we are unable to
return to a normal schedule of DAILY studies very soon, our weakest pupils
are in danger of failing their exams in any event even WITH 10 additional
points.

Pupils are so upset, so unsettled, so unable to concentrate-- many are like
frightened birds fluttering hither and thither in a gilded cage. "I'm sorry,
ha'morah, I can't concentrate...."  ; "Ha'morah, I just can't handle this
right now!" ; " Can we do this next week?"

Our juniors (American English for 11th graders, you Brits!) have adequate
time next year to re-do modules, but our weak seniors.... Even under normal
conditions they will miss many, many days in spring time looking for a post
for next year's Sherut Leumi; etc.  even if we go back to school tomorrow!

Hence, if the present situation continues just 2 more weeks, we'll have
missed one very crucial month that may be the cause of many weak pupils
throughout the south not achieving a bagrut certificate. I have no solutions
nor am I seeking more gratis  points!! I am simply stating the facts as I
see them after two marathon teaching sessions Thursday and today, Monday, in
classrooms far from our own in Netivot.

Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev

        Call for Articles