[etni] Fw: Yes I Can, Barry!

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:57:19 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Avraham J. Roos" <avrahamroos@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Yes I Can, Barry!

Hi All!

As I have already written in an earlier e-mail, I was positively
impressed  with the ETNI Rag. There was, however, one thing
that disturbed me deeply.

I have a compulsive character and one of things that really triggers
me is when someone tells me that I will not be able to find something
on the Internet. I know it sounds weird but whenever that happens
I just HAVE to prove this person wrong.

Now Barry Silverberg wrote in the "About the Authors" section of
the ETNI  Rag in his biography  the following sentence:
"I entered the world in May 4th of 1952. Google your head off, but
nothing else happened in the world on  that day. I guess I was enough."
Oh Barry I wish you had not written that. So here it comes:

Except for Barry Silverberg born on that day, Babe Didrikson-Zaharias
won the LPGA Fresno Golf Open. And Boston 1B Faye Throneberry
hits his 2nd grand slam of the season off Early Wynn of the Indians, but
the Tribe wins, 9–6. West Germany wins a friendly match against Ireland (3-0).

I found several unknown actors and film directors born on this day but
none too well-known to even mention here. By the way, no British
politician either died, was born or got married on that day!

So hey, this turned out to be more difficult than I had thought. Almost
all the This Day in History sites turned up with zip for this day.
Could Barry be right? But will I give up? Back to the computer typing
in different keywords. Because of American and European date conventions,
I had to search for 4/5/52 and also 5/4/52!

This way I found that on May 4 1952 Albert Einstein who received a 3 page
manuscript from Jerusalem (of all places) written by Messjahu, M.
(http://www.alberteinstein.info/db/ViewDetails.do?DocumentID=26874)

I also found a letter written on that very day to the national Behai Youth
committee by its leader. (http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/se/UD/ud-364.html)

From his private diary for that date we can decipher that Linus Pauling
(Race of DNA discovery) phones Dr. Irvine H. Page at the Cleveland
Clinic on  Barry's birthday.

http://osulibrary.orst.edu/specialcollections/coll/pauling/calendar/1952/05-may/4.html
 And there was news from the warfront (Barry was born during the Korean war)
too: At 17:39 a MIG-15 of the North Korea Airforce was shot down near Kupp,
Korea by Captain Clifford D. Jolley 335th FIS 4th FIW. The Korean pilot
ejected. http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/PROJECT/YEAR_Pages/1952.htm I still
had the feeling that this was not enough so I contacted two of my favourite
online resources: IPL (Internet Public Library) and StraightDope.com. What a
disappointment it was when both sent backan e-mail stating that they were at
the time too busy to research an answerfor my question. This left me with only
one course and a dangerous one thatis: Yahoo Answers. Here you can ask ANY
question and real people willtry to answer it for you for free. BEWARE: Don't
go there if you are quickly addicted. Once in, you start answering questions
yourself trying to gain points and will only log off when t
here is a power failure! But even here I received only ONE answer with
additional information. It was one more piece of war news for Barry's birthday:
Twenty-five F-86s strafed and destroyed five of twenty-four YAK-9s parked in
revetments at Sinuiju Airfield in extreme northwestern Korea.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060910120601AAqYrqc So you see,
Barry, it CAN be done although I must admit that you were born on quite an
obscure date history-wise. Thanx for your wonderful hilarious additions once
and again (but thenagain, what would you expect from a guy born in the same
year as Mr. Potatohead!!) All the best and keep up the good work. Avraham Roos
http://h1.ripway.com/avrahamroos
Read "The Etni Rag" - http://www.etni.org/etnirag/

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm