[etni] Fw: Websites for teachers in the south

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:34:02 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrevivo@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Websites for teachers in the south

Dear Colleagues- I have received several requests to post the websites I
received, so here they are. I'm sure that many schools are teaching on line
as we are. Good luck!

BTW, tonight, the house that collapsed in Netivot is practically in the next
street and our whole house shook from the "hedef." My husband and I plan to
stay for the duration;  I didn't make aliya to be bombed out of my house. (I
grew up with a lot of anti-semitism in a very rural district of upstate
N.Y.)

May we all have a good week, and may G-d watch over our boys on the front.

From: Ruthi rsheffer@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Links - Security Situation

this is the collection of sites that I have for the kids who are
studying at home.
Most are junior high or high school sites. but some have activities
for all levels.
All the best
Ruth Sheffer,Ort college Jerusalem

http://www.efl.net/
listening,reading ,funny videos,articles with dictionary support
http://a4esl.org/
grammar,vocabulary, crossword puzzles,podcasts
http://www.eflnet.com/
grammar,listening ,reading
http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/
news articles
http://www.onlinenglish.net/iView.html
daily news videos and National Geographic
http://www.onlinenglish.net/GET/home.html
live audio talk (2 levels)
http://www.eslhome.com/esl/listen/
free authentic listening materials
http://www.hearingvoices.com/
listening to stories (authentic materials) you can download and listen later
http://www.manythings.org/
songs/ words and songs
http://www.manythings.org
lots of materials for learning including podcasts
http://iteslj.org/links/ESL/Listening/Podcasts/
www.youtube.com- rebecca.esl.com grammar lessons
JenniferESL

To Ester and other Southern English teachers,

We at ORT are offering our online Aviv courses free of charge,
especially for this purpose.
In English, we have 4 courses that practice for Bagrut modules B-E.
We will also provide support for students who want to ask questions
about the Aviv courses or any other Bagrut-related question.
The Aviv modules contain all types of tasks that replicate Bagrut tasks.
Highly recommended
Tziona.

Tziona Levi
Head of English Studies,
Administration for R&D and Training
Ort Network, Israel
050-6510132
z_levi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Esther
have you looked at Engish Town - they say they give 7 days free trial -
which would be good......

http://www.englishtown.com

esther -

try looking at
http://www.interlect.co.il/

their preparation for the amir test is very good, i don't know what
the high school section is like. it's free.

ORT Aviv -
http://aviv.org.il/Apps/WW/Page.aspx?ws=c63da21d-a5e9-48ee-9c35-df63e80a6972&page=e5154360-eea9-41d0-97a1-921983c41fc3

has online preparation and practice for modules B C D E

Free listening practice for E: (links i gave to my students)

>>> Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab
http://www.esl-lab.com/
This site has listening quizes that can help you prepare for the E bagrut.
The "Medium" quizes are shorter than what you will have in the bagrut,
but are good practice for listening for details.
The "Difficult" are also a little short, but some of the vocabulary is
harder than the bagrut.
So - you could start with some of the medium level quizes, and work up
to the difficult ones.
>>> Avraham Roos's Listening Comprehension Practice
http://h1.ripway.com/avrahamroos/ListeningComprehensionPractice.htm
Avraham Roos is an English teacher from Ramat Gan. At his site you can
listen to lectures, answer bagrut-type questions and use an answer
keys to check yourself.

i will also pass your letter on to a friend of mine -
nicole scott - who works at one of the internet en\glish teaching
companys, and see if she has any ideas.

good luck and stay strong,
sara g
gan yavne

Cc: nicole scott (barnone777@xxxxxxxxx)

Esther, this is the answer I got from my friend nicile re eteacher. i
suggest you look at the site, and if you have any more questions bein touch
with nicole.nicole, thanks! sara
Dear Esther,
I love these quizzes on ESL.about.com that the kids can do on their own, get
instant feedback on each question and can keep redoing them till they get
them all right!!
Play with it for a while and see which quizzes you want to send your
students. There's a ton of exciting work there!

I'm sending my students work to do as well. Hope you're all safe and well,
Be"H!
Leah

Hi Esther,

call the British Council,

they have a  new online world in English for students - and its free.

You as teacher have to register the students with them.

I attended a session with them at the ETAI conference the other day, and it
looks really good.

Call them and ask them about it, I am sure they will be  most helpful and
understanding.

03 6113600

best regards

Ben Sommer

we use eteacher:
www.eteacher.co.il
I think the school may have to pay for this.
I'll forward you my last letter from them.

also aviv through ort.  Here is the link.
http://aviv.org.il/Apps/WW/Page.aspx?ws=51b5254c-7339-47bc-b69b-9e1cb32435b7&page=b90317fe-cc44-4796-b789-6f2ff7ff0d0d
(or go to www.ort.org.il and press on aviv)
go in as a guest.
kathi