[etni] Fw: Reply to "Recommendations for improvements"

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 19:47:41 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: nava horovitz - horovm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Reply to "Recommendations for improvements"

It really is a refreshing change when teachers "speak" up so openly about the very many disservices they feel are being done to them by the Ministry of Education. I wholeheartedly agree that teachers
deserve to be paid for every minute of the hard work that they do.

However, a few questions were raised in the document that have left me confused. Here are some of them: How can an Israeli English teacher be expected to develop, to be updated, to be refreshed in everything concerning the English language? Are we to rely solely on reading English books and "chatting" in English on the Internet ……? Why are there no in-service courses for English teachers with the best linguistic teachers …or
with lecturers from the British Council or the American Embassy in Israel?
How is it that a non-native English teacher is unable to take advantage of in-service courses
in English with the best academic teachers from Israel and abroad?

I know for a fact that the teachers who signed their names to the document are (except for one) NOT members of ETAI and therefore are totally unaware that at our conferences, teachers can develop professionally, be updated and refreshed in everything concerning the English language. Thus, there is no need to "rely solely on reading English books and "chatting" in English on the Internet". Furthermore, at our conferences we have the very best of teachers and lecturers that the British Council and the American Embassy has to offer, in addition to other overseas guest speakers,such as President of TESOL. We also have at our conferences the best of our local talent who in many cases are world renowned speakers. This year at ETAI we introduced mini-conferences all over the country with workshops on "The Use of Film in the Classroom" conducted by staff from the British Council as one of the many highlights. If teachers were to come forward with requests for specific in-service courses in English, I'm sure ETAI would be only too happy to help set that up. At our pre-conference event this summer we will be offering workshops (again run by staff from the British Council and others) for non-native
English teachers seeking to improve their proficiency.

So there it all is being handed to you on a silver platter, all you have to do is come and feast yourselves on what is already on offer.

You're right, English teachers do work hard, but don't complain about things you can easily change for yourselves. If you can't afford to pay membership and conference fees yourself, ask your school or municipality to take advantage of our offer of Institutional Membership. There is absolutely no need to "suffer" unnecessarily. Join hundreds of other English teachers in Israel who are wise enough to enjoy the benefits of being a member of ETAI.

Nava Horovitz
ETAI Chair

** Issue #5 of The Rag is out:
  http://www.etni.org/etnirag/issue5.htm **