[etni] Fw: Re: Hots again

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 06:53:53 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marlene" <marlenegay@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hots again

You know that underachievers in elementary get private lessons/small groups
in Hebrew and Math, but not in English.
They are taught by a morah metakenet - teacher hours paid by the Ministry.
 I think that either in a small group or employing a teacher's assistant to
help teach non readers - are necessary to help students keep up with the
rest of the class. Otherwise, they are just sitting there. Even if they have
their own workbook - without adequate teacher help - very few improve on
their own.
In a class of close to 40, few teachers are able to attend to individual
needs, without the help of volunteers, sherut leumi girls, student
teachers, etc. Why can't the Ministry establish a teacher's aide system?
Marlene

 Ben wrote:
>> I have been following the hot debate with interest.
>> I feel we are arguing about the cream on the cake - students who can
>> handle literature are fine by me.
>> Our real problem is the ever increasing number of students who come out
>> of
>> primary school without being close to the required standard in English
>> (or
>> Math).
>> It occurs to me that the years of budget cuts hacking into the primary
>> system have really taken their toll, and that this is the real situation
>> that has to be rectified.
>> If most of my work in Junior and High School is trying to close enormous
>> gaps that should never have been there in the first place, - ( one's
>> heart
>> asks how could all this not have been detected and fixed when the
>> problems, and students, were still small) - literature is frankly not
>> really
>> a big help in this.
>> I love teaching literature, and wish it could be done more often.

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal