[etni] Fw: My two cents

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 22:49:47 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Esther Revivo - estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: My two cents

Recovering from fractured wrist and hard to type so excuse short form as
painful:
1- Judy G., I too was shocked by the "pa'arim" between my magenim and the
pupils' grades on module D. NEVER in all my years of teaching did I have
such results! Anybody else in the same boat?

2- Agree with all previous teachers about literature. There is no excuse for
being a lazy teacher. "Anything worth doing is worth doing right." Even in
my horrendously weakest classes, I always managed to find cute easy poems
and stories of interest for my pupils.

3- Several of our pupils are too poor to buy a walkman. (The school's staff
has chipped in money to help finance more than one "ivchun" over the years.)
And, I agree with Barry: I will do everything and anything to help out those
pupils for whom the hatamot like hakraa are intended. It's the wealthy lazy
pupils who simply shelled out money and thus got dumped on the bandwagon at
our expense that gall me.

4-Songs are a fantastic method for teaching listening comprehension and new
vocabulary. I do this following an exam when I want a "fun" thing to do (as
the carrot after the stick :)

Download Billy Joel's "River of Dreams" and you'll hear a fast paced song
that is like poetry. My pupils love it! I have many jigsaw and other
activities to go with everything from the Beatles "Fool on the Hill," to A.
Morissette's (spelling?) "Isn't it Ironic." Yes, this entertains pupils, but
it is primarily an enjoyable tool for vocabulary enrichment and listening
comprehension. (I wish I had these pages on my p.c.; most are hand-written
from long ago, and I have no scanner, other wise I would give to all and
sundry. If anybody is in the area of our Ulpana, I will gladly pass out
copies!)

Shana Tova and good luck to everyone!
Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev