[etni] Fw: In favor of songs

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 06:41:14 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: Aharon Family - aharonmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: In favor of songs

Since I base my teaching on songs and games, I have to speak up here.
Incidently, I currently teach children from pre-K through 2nd grade in
after-school groups, and enrichment in 4th-6th grades in elementary school.

Songs are an excellent way to help students remember vocabulary and sentence
structure, along with teaching them correct pronunciation. Speaking and
writing cannot be completely separated - a student who learns to speak
correctly is more likely to write correctly. You can even use songs to teach
reading by handing out the lyrics, and if they don't want to sing at least
have them listen and follow along. Songs and games don't turn lessons into a
free-for-all if the same discipline is maintained. If a song is taught
properly - explain the lyrics, have children repeat them, use hand motions
or pictures when appropriate - the children will have a much better idea of
what's going on.

I hope it's clear that I'm not suggesting that it's not important to teach
the basics of reading. I'm suggesting that songs and other activities be
used in conjunction with the regular curriculum.

Yes, I've also heard students ask why they should bother learning songs, but
I've also been asked why they need to do homework or dictations. Children
don't always realize when they're learning. As for the question "Why can't
English teachers teach like other teachers?", teaching a foreign language is
different. Those same students have already learned several hundred songs in
Hebrew, many of which, whether they realize it or not, were used to to teach
them vocabulary.

So keep singing!

Kara Aharon
Yerucham, Israel