[etni] Fw: Getting a gmul for the lit module - reaction to Motti!

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:50:39 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: judyastary@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Getting a gmul for the lit module - reaction to Motti!

Thanks MOtti for your support BUT I beg to differ with your reaction that
"nothing can/will be done!"  English teachers CAN, MUST and DO stand firm on
important issues. Note the positive results of the Bagrut Markers' Refusal
to work this summer until the hourly quotas for marking each Module were
significantly reduced. ALL 250 markers "voted with their feet" and the
result was that quotas have been significantly reduced (by 33 - 42%
according to the particular module). Consequently, the quality of the work
of bagrut markers has been greatly improved, current markers are far less
overworked and now new markers are joining the forum. Word got around fast
that the job has been rendered more manageable and more teachers are
therefore prepared to give it their best shot.

My point in recalling the above scenario is that under no curcumstances
should we allow ourselves to cowtow to every whim (in the form of innovative
ideas which create extra work on top of the heavy work load we already bear
such as projects, LD accommodations, double modules etc) WITHOUT DUE
RECOMPENSE! The Ministry is prepared to recognize teachers' demands when
they are justified. Clearly, the new LIt Module is going to generate
considerably more time and work for teachers in the field. So please, let's
not take the line of least resistance. Let us stand firm together and make
sure we are paid what we are worth!

Judith Astary