[etni] Fw: ETAI Newsletter #6 - December 2007

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 19:28:20 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: ETAI office - etaioffice@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: ETAI Newsletter #6 - December 2007

Newsletter 6:  December 2007. "If you can't come to ETAI, ETAI will come to
you."

Dear Readers,

These days we usually hear or see only superlatives used, or shall I say
overused, in advertising. However, the best way to describe our Winter
Conference on December 6th at Kaye College in Beer Sheva is with
superlatives. It was the biggest, with over 400 participants. It was the
liveliest, thanks to the participation of many young college students. It
was the brightest, being a beacon of light during a very difficult period in
many teachers' lives. It was the tastiest, thanks to the food sponsored by
the publishers. And, of course, it was most beautifully organized and hosted
by our most gracious conveners, Riva Levenchuk and Inessa Roe.
"Perspectives" (the title of the conference) definitely left "Imprints" (the
title of Dr. Judy Steiner's talk) on us all.

At the conference, it was my pleasure to present two well-deserved "Lifetime
Achievement Awards" to two colleagues who have contributed much to ETAI and
to the field of teaching English in Israel. The first is David Lloyd for the
time and effort he has invested in creating and maintaining ETNI for the
benefit of all English teachers in Israel, and the second is Dr. Susan
Holzman, who has for many years devoted countless hours of her time to ETAI,
in particular during the past five years, in which she served as ETAI Chair.
In addition, she was the first editor of the ETAI Forum.

Until the Spring Conference in Haifa comes around, we at ETAI are busy
organizing many local events for you to attend. Please join Fran Sokel and
her team of helpers at the next ETAI mini-conference in the north on
Thursday 24th January 2008, at 15.00
at Eshkol Hapayis, Maghar. Details of the programme will be published
shortly on the ETNI digest and on the newly upgraded and updated ETAI site
(accessed from ETNI).

In addition, we are working on dates for the workshops on "The Use of Film
in the Classroom" that will be conducted under the auspices of the British
Council. The workshops will be held in the following areas: Beit Safafa, the
Sharon area, Jerusalem and Ashdod. These events will require
pre-registration, so please be on the look-out for more information.

Those of you who are members of ETAI are, I'm sure, enjoying the latest
edition of the ETAI Forum. Michele Ben and Amanda Caplan have done a
wonderful job of editing the Forum, and are looking forward to receiving
contributions for the next issues. If you have something you would like to
share with other teachers, you are strongly encouraged to write an article
for the Forum. Highlights from previous issues of the Forum are available to
all on the ETAI site.

I have received some positive feedback regarding ETAI's "outreach" programme
in bringing ETAI events closer to members, but I am always open to
suggestions. If you have an idea for a local event, please let us know about
it.

Until the next issue of the newsletter, best wishes,
Nava Horovitz, ETAI Chair

Marna Snyder
ETAI Office Director
Tel:  02-500-1844