[etni] Re: Fw: A Last Gasp for Audio Cassettes

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ask@xxxxxxxx>, "'ETNI'" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:19:00 +0200

Dear ETNIers,
The problem is NTO that the Inspectorate do not REALIZE this - they realize
it all too well. The problem is (and maybe someone on this list can think of
a solution) the following:

1) The kids are NOT allowed to take the tests on computers (which would
allow them to listen to a sound file while reading the text -either on
screen or off). From what I understand, one of the problems preventing us
from allowing this is that, while many schools have sufficient computers
available, many do NOT, and this would be severely discriminating against
the "have-nots"

2) Although MANY kids have MP3s, MP4s, IPODS and mobile phones that play
digital files, when you make a digital file, these different instruments do
NOT read the different files!

For example, I experimented with my 7th graders last year (figured - no high
stake testing HERE to worry about! ;) I made a digital recording of a text,
and had the kids come with their contraptions to sit with me at a computer
so I could download the file. The recording I made was a wav file - I tried
it once through a program on my computer, and once by recording into my MP3.
The kids with MP3s were able to hear it. However, the kids with the IPODS
could NOT!

I am no expert in this (far from it!) so if anyone can enlighten me and
explain how to make a sound file that will be read by MP3s, MP4s, IPODS and
mobile phones that play digital files, maybe we can make some headway in
solving this very serious problem!

All the best
Adele

Margie wrote:
Gee, I wish the Inspectorate realized this too when they make everyone (kids

and teachers) scramble to get
Walkmans (Walkmen??!!) for Bagrut and other tests when CD's and MP3/4's are
what is used these days...!