[etni] Re: Firing of Morim Olim coordinator

  • From: David & Miriam Wapner <dmwapner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:14:44 +0300

Ministry of Education
David Wapner

22 Kanfei Nesharim
Hashoshan 33, Bet

Jerusalem, Israel
dmwapner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Letter of Protest

Dear Sir or Madam,

In the confusing world of bureaucracy and uncertainty within the Ministry of
Education there is only one person that is always accessible to the New Olim
teachers and who is always ready to help- Debbie Wiener.

Olim come to Israel to fulfill the Zionist dream of living and working in
Eretz Yisrael. It is not easy, especially within the ministry. It is a
difficult place to maneuver in, even for native born Israeli teachers; now
compound those difficulties for the Morim Olim who may not speak Hebrew
fluently or know what to do to be able to teach in Israel or be able to get
what they are entitled to.

 There is nowhere else for them to turn to and be helped except for Debbie
Wiener. She knows the system, she knows the people within the ministry, she
knows who to turn to- to address and solve problems AND she is willing and
able to do all those things for all the new olim.

She helps hundreds of new olim each year. I was shocked when I heard that
her position within the ministry was being cut. It will affect and
disenfranchise the weak strata within the teaching profession- New Olim
Teachers. I daresay many teachers will fail because of your shortsightedness
of being “penny wise and pound foolish.” Yes, you will save a few Shekels
but you will lose many excellent potential teachers.

I have been in the system here for 12 years and I am still put off by the
petty bureaucracy, inefficiency and rudeness within the ministry. The only
number that I and my fellow olim can turn to and be certain that we would be
helped is that of Debbie Wiener.

When I told my wife, also a morah olah, that Ms. Wiener’s position was to be
cut, she simply said “Are they crazy?” I hope the answer is “No, I was only
kidding.

David Wapner

 TZ #320 515 612