[etni] Re: [FWD: is this legal??]

  • From: "Tom Balazs" <etnimail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI Post Message" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:28:12 +0200

You could see this as an unfair burden. But then you could also think of
this as a sign that (maybe) some exciting changes will finally come to the
Israeli school system. See the below link.

No more pencils, no more books; pilot project tries new era of teaching

Haaretz, Yuval Azoulay

"The pencil cases of students in class 5-G at the Torah-science school in
Yavneh contain a single pencil and an eraser. "It's for English, because
we're not yet studying it on computer," explains one student, Liron Ohayon.

As it turns out, the English teacher just can't get used to the new system.
Liron and his 23 classmates study all the rest of their subjects on laptops,
one per child. No papers, no textbooks, no notebooks, no copying from the
blackboard. Whatever their teacher, Ezri Mehatzri, wants to transmit to the
students he does over the network, at the touch of a button. All the
students have to do is open the appropriate file.

5-G is one of five classes throughout the country selected by the Davidson
Institute of Science Education at the Weizmann Institute of Science to
participate in a pilot project, in which they will continue using their
laptops through the 12th grade.

On this particular Sunday morning, Mehatzri was teaching Gemara, with the
part of the lesson that he wanted to discuss marked in color. "It's a
challenge to teach Judaism with a computer. The student's experience is
completely different. If the students are having a difficult time with a
portion of Gemara, the computer can help clarify things. It makes the lesson
much easier," Mehatzri says ..." (full text

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/540723.html)

Tom