[etni] [FWD: Re: frivolous lawsuits]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:52:04 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Re: [etni] frivolous lawsuits
 From: "Candella" <candella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 I know that using the Internet can be a lot of fun, but this week
 I was  reminded that as educators we have to be very careful
when using certain
 sites.

 I spent four hours on the computer earlier this week, planning a
lesson  based on the "Hoax or Real/" site which was
recommended by one of our  textbook publishers. I sent the
link and my lesson off to our webmaster to  be put on the school
site for Grade 10.

 Luck must have been with me, because I decided to send the
assignment to my  gmail address as well. When I opened the
assignment and the link from a  different computer in the house
which doesn't have XP, I was shocked.  The  pop-ups were
embarrassingly graphic and were definitely not advertising  products
and ideas that 15-16 year olds need to see -especially not on a
site that their teacher had recommended. It appears that XP can be
programmed to block pop-ups

I immediately sent a capitalized stop sign to the webmaster, hoping
that my "shouting" email would attract  her attention. It did, and we
are now trying to download all of the  linked material to the school
site,
thereby giving the students access to the material they need for the
lesson.

 So,  not only do we have to verify material, but we have to make
sure that  we are morally and educationally responsible. I know that
kids see all kinds  of things on the Net and surf all kinds of sites at
home... I just don't  want them  doing it on my shift.

 Candella Schorer