[etni] [FWD: Grading the new Bagrut]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:34:14 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: (resend) Grading the new Bagrut
 From: "T W" <bbw2448@xxxxxxxxx>

 I have several questions about grading the new Bagrut:

 From the NBA handbook I understand that for even one spelling or
 grammar mistake, maximum points will be deducted (2 for spelling,
 sliding scale for grammar). Is that right?

 Also how will careless writing errors be graded, where a letter is
 missing but the student clearly knows how to spell the word?
 Punctuation and capitalization are under the same rubric as spelling on
 the writing task . Will points be taken off for them on the reading
 comprehension, too? Would a missing apostrophe in a possesive be
 counted as a spelling or grammar error?

 When it comes to grading the content of a reading comprehension
 question, will partial points be given for partially right answers, or
 will it be all or nothing?

 In many of the practice tests for the higher modules there are
 questions where the second half of the question is dependant on the
 first half. (i.e. a. What info can't he give them? b. Explain why this
 is so.) If the first half is wrong will the second half automatically
 be considered wrong? If the student gets only the second half correct,
 then he hasn't fully understood the text, but will he be given points
 for the second half?

 Finally, will a formal letter be accepted on Module D if the student
 prefers?

 Thanks for your patience,
 Tzvi