[etni] [FWD: Career Transition]

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 13:21:19 -0700

 -------- Original Message --------
 Subject: Career Transition
 From: "patrae grossman" <grossmans2@xxxxxxxxx>

 Hello "ETNI,"

 I was visiting your wonderful website and decided to write.  I am a new
olah (Sept '04) with a Bachelor of Science degree from America, but I
would like to become an English teacher or tutor.  I initially
considered the Ministry of Education's offer to new olim to provide
teacher training and certification at no charge, but entrance into the
program was contingent upon an ability to speak Hebrew at the gimel
level (at least) and I'm not there yet.  I am currently in the Aleph
Plus class at my ulpan. I would be interested in doing some volunteer
work, preferably with a mentor in the beginning, but am not sure where
to begin to find such a situation. Even though I love English and
consider myself an excellent reader and writer, I have no formal
education in grammar, teaching, or literature (beyond college
literature courses for my degree).  I am currently looking into the
English Tutor Training program offered at David Yellin, but suspect
that those classes will also be taught in Hebrew.  (I was told that all
classes at David Yellin are taught in Hebrew.)

 Anyway, I am wondering if you have any suggestions for me on how I can
get started. I don't quite feel ready to just hang out a shingle for
tutoring the neighbor kids.  I also visited the mailing list for ETNI
but it didn't seem very active, so was unsure whether that would be the
best place to leave a query.  Thanks so much!  Sincerely, Patrae
Grossman