[etni] [FWD: A literature fan]

  • From: <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 07:27:23 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: A literature fan
From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Dear Aviva,

Thank you for your pleasantly phrased message.  Perhaps due to David
being abroad, the message where I said that those for whom HOTS works
well/best should certainly continue with it, has not yet been posted.
However, my point is that those teachers who find their previous tried
and true methods to be MORE rewarding, successful, etc., should be
allowed to continue.  And those who object to mixing HOTS with
literature should also not be forced to do so.
If the point is to have our students read literature, think about it,
and be left with lasting impressions that can be applied elsewhere --
and this goal is being achieved -- then for those of us who have long
been teaching this way, the HOTS program isn't necessary or desirable.
(I realize this does not address the problem of uniform assessment, but
let's leave that aside for the sake of brevity!)

Certainly, as you say, there are different approaches possible to
teaching the explicit HOTS (which is the part that I personally object
to the most because, amongst other things, it seems artificially tacked
on), but this does not mean that we must believe in its efficacy.

As for the other points you mentioned (about the literature itself), I
certainly agree : A creative teacher will always search for new ways to
make the literature exciting, motivating, inspirational, entertaining,
relevant, etc., for her classes (who are never exactly the same, so why
teach them the same exact way)!

I think that rather than forcing a program on teachers who object to its
present format for a myriad of reasons, it would be a good idea to let
those who want to teach literature for its own sake (and this always
includes the necessity to think!) continue to do so.  Those who choose
to can also do a meaningful log, suited to the needs of their particular
class.
That's essentially all I'm proposing, but I am hardly the spokesperson
for everyone who disagrees with and/or dislikes HOTS.

Shabbat Shalom to all.

Respectfully,
Batya