[etni] Re: Example Please!

  • From: "Tom Balazs" <etnimail@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hezi5@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:51:05 +0300

1. Clearly there are excellent English teachers whose mother tongue is not
English.
2. They still will be lacking in certain areas. (They may more than make up
for this by excelling in other areas.)

An excellent non-native English speaking teacher asked me what it means to
"put the pedal to the metal". I explained that this means to drive quickly.
I later walked by her classroom and heard her tell the class, "I'm driving
down the road pedaling to the metal."

She was missing a small piece of information. I can put the pedal to the
metal, I can be putting the pedal to the metal (maybe), but I definately do
not say "pedaling to the metal."

Tom