[etni] Error correction - What is YOUR opinion of THIS?

  • From: naomi epstein <naomi.shema@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 15:21:36 +0300

The whole topic of error correction interests me a great deal. I'm curious
to hear what other teachers think of a suggestion that was just made by a
reader on my blog.
After reading the post:
"Is it an error not to correct"
http://hartlelearning.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/is-it-an-error-not-to-correct/
I commented on the post on my own blog: " Correcting Errors and Teacher
Survivial - a comment
http://visualisingideas.edublogs.org/2013/04/30/correcting-errors-and-teacher-survival-a-comment/
Here's a comment I got from a teacher, Judy Dubois, who took the time to
share her strategy. What do YOU think? Would it work with the five point
students studying compostion writing?

Please answer to the list.

"I developed a correction system which worked for me when I was teaching
English in a French lycée. First I explained to students that their first
drafts would be graded by quantity not quality. that meant that if the
assignment was to write 350 words, everyone who wrote 350 words got full
marks. This removed a lot of the apprehension of “making mistakes” and
their first efforts were generally more spontaneous and interesting. I
collected their papers and went through them making NO comments, codes,
etc., simply underlining in GREEN everything that was grammatically
acceptable. I then returned their papers and gave them a week to write a
second draft which would be graded for quality and count twice as much as
the first. This allowed them to correct a lot of errors from the first
draft and almost everyone was able to get a decent grade, which encouraged
them. I found that I spent much less time on correction than I had before,
and since the careless mistakes were eliminated, it helped me see which
sturctures were giving them problems and needed to be targeted in class".

Naomi Epstein

--
Naomi Epstein
"Shema" Counselor for Teaching English