[etni] Encouraging English Speech in Class

  • From: Aharon Family <aharonmk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:04:49 +0200

Hi Avraham,

Unfortunately, telling children that they need to do something isn't always
effective. Bringing in native speakers closer to their age - volunteers,
overseas students, etc. is excellent since they can usually find common
interests to discuss - music, sports, etc.
I would suggest instead of pairs, divide the class into groups of  3-5 and
at the end invite all groups to perform. No need to use pupils as spies -
the teacher should move between the groups and remind them to speak English
while offering to help them prepare their skits.

Here are some other suggestions:

1. Raps - Sentences chanted in rhythm allow the entire class to speak
together clearly, giving everyone speaking practice and helping them
memorize language chunks. Afterwards it will be much easier for pupils to
remember and use these sentences in context.
2. Group drama activities - When the entire class is involved the teacher
hears everyone.
3. Games - I've given several workshops on games that encourage pupils to
speak. You can find some ideas on my website or by looking through handouts
of previous ETAI conferences.

Good luck and have fun!

Kara Aharon, English is Fun
Yerucham, Israel