[etni] Dovrat

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:56:29 +0200

 I would like to reinforce  Renee Wahl's excellent op-ed in today's JP.
Any teacher you ask will tell you that making classes smaller is the change
that will be most influential on our learners.

Another priority is getting good teachers into those classrooms. Teachers who
are dedicated, educated and enlightened.  This means better salaries, better
conditions, and incentives for those teachers who do not sit back and make do
with what they learned in teacher training college or university, but are
constantly learning, constantly updating and improving themselves.
Continuing education not only enriches us academically and intellectually, but
it also renews our empathy for our learners, which is no less important.

These are the things that will improve the teachers' status  and entice the
young, intelligent, charismatic people we want training our youth for the
future, into the classrooms.

Sorry, but I see NOTHING in the Dovrat report that answers any of MY criteria.
In fact, everything that I have mentioned demands MORE teachers (not less) ,
MORE funds allocated to educational infrastructure (not cut-backs).

Adele Raemer

PS
And if  REALLY want a fright, I would suggest you look around at the population
attending your next teachers' in-service training conference.  If you see 5% of
the faces under the age of 30, I will be very surprised.