[etni] Re: Discrepancies between school and exam grades

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:30:14 -0700 (PDT)

Laurie and Jimmy,

I agree with every word that you wrote about discrepancies being a result of
the project and literature, and that's what I tell my teachers as well. As was
already written on the list, the main problem is that the Ministry doesn't seem
to get that.

However, this year the gaps seemed to be especially large even when there was
no reason for that. We DO give grades as they should be given - including
literature, projects, and all the rest. With weaker students, that often causes
great discrepancies, but with stronger students, the magen grade is generally
very close to the actual mark, because just about all our students fulfill
their literature requirements, do their projects, etc., and most of them do
their work very well. So if I have a gap of 40 points between the magen grade
and the written grade of a weak 4-point student who did all her work, I don't
care (the Ministry might, though), but if the same thing happens to many of
the 5-point students, there's a problem somewhere. This year there were way
more of the latter type of discrepancy than there should have been. For
example, almost all of our Module A students (yes, they're weak, but still,
most of our students do well on Module A) had
 major discrepancies, and these are students who did well on their matkonot
(and did the performance task, book reports, etc.) throughout the year. The
testers were told that the grades on this year's summer Bagrut were the lowest
of the last ten years. So yes, I think that something is wrong.

All the best,
Rivka
Laurie wrote:
The topic of discrepancies between the school grade and Bagrut exam grade
comes up time and time again. I find large discrepancies on a regular basis
due to the "formula" we use to calculate our grades , taking into account
book report files, literature and projects. (NBA Handbook) The grades for
these are often the reason for the large gaps between our grade and the exam
grade and they can go either way; if a pupil did a great project or literary
file, etc., that pupil's grade might be a lot higher than his actual exam
grade (internal or external) And the opposite is true, too.  We almost all
have pupils who don't hand in projects or book reports, etc. This is not
new. And so when I looked at the Bagrut results today  I found the gaps I'd
expected.