[etni] Comments on the module bagrut

  • From: Jacquie Mohar <caddy_1998@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:02:51 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Judy and the etni listers,
I am usually a bit of a lurker on this list, but I
find myself unable to sit on the fence any longer.
Yesterday's module bagrut needs to be rethought
about!I had 11th grade English speakers doing E F and
G modules. They seemed to spend half their time on
breaks and the hardest module, G, started at 18:00,
when they were exhausted. Is this fair? In fact, the
new modules now compells students to be here from
14:30 to 19:15. = close to 5 hours instead of 3. I had
an extra time student in tears, who was here till
almost 21:00 and then had to do "hachtva lebochen".
Has anyone consulted a physician about this? The
physiological effects of being under stress for so
long?
My suggestion is to start the day MUCH earlier. I
intend to have my 12th graders do E next Winter to
reduce the load in the summer. But what am I achieving
by this, if the F comes before the E? I suggest that E
should preceed F, so that E can be done in the winter.
I understand the problems with the listening
comprehensions, but I don't think that is any more
than a technical problem which can be solved.

Awaiting reactions............
Jacquie and the English team at Ma'ayan Shahar High School

=====
Jacquie Mohar  ICQ 14556584
Everton loyal supporter

http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/