[etni] Re: Class Size link- Michele's posting

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Michele Ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 21:59:21 +0300

Michele - and all -
I doubt that the NYT article forwarded to Tirosh and Livnat will be an
eye-opener. Believe me they know.

The problem is twofold: 1) there isn't enough money; and 2) no-one is
really interested in creating a good working system of education. The
existing system serves several purposes (babysitting to keep mothers
employable; indoctrination; etc.) but it certainly does not list
education as a priority.

I may be totally wrong as regards #1, though: dry figures show that the
budget allocates more money per pupil than most other countries in the
world. The problem is there isn't enough money when it comes to properly
using the funds allocated by the budget. Most of it does not reach the
pupil and the teacher.

A couple weeks ago I posted a message describing a few ugly things that
exist in the system

(I am still puzzled by the facts that:
1) it was posted, and
2) no-one commented - neither to the list or offlist, privately to me.

Are you guys SO scared?)

I will give you another example of the way money is used (does this guy
love to poke the hornets' nest?!):

there is an inspector in charge of in-service courses in every 'machoz';
as if this isn't enough, there is a parallel (not supervising!)
structure in the ministry - an inspector (with a good salary - he is a
Dr.) and a secretary - with roughly the same authority. This position
exists within the Religious Education sector.

Bottomline:

1. there IS enough money, overall;
2. this money is NOT spent the right way;
3. this is due to the fact that education is NOT a priority;
4. as long as the existing political system remains unchanged, the
situation with Israeli education will only get worse;
5. sooner or later the whole education sustem will collapse;
6. most of us will leave the sinking system before it happens.

Idealists sink. Rats survive. How sad that the system compels us to
display the latter type of behavior.

On this cheerful note... -

Lev

Lev Abramov <lev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>