[etni] Re: Cannot vs. Can not

  • From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Rivka Lewenstein" <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 21:54:46 +0200

I CANNOT fathom why CAN NOT is unacceptable if it appears in a reliable
source, but since we CAN'T control the whims and wishes of authority figures
(AKA linguists, lexicographers, grammarians and the mightiest of them all --
the MOE), this may just remain another one of life's unresolved mysteries!
(BTW, my "heritage edition" of Merriam-Webster's lists the definition of
"cannnot" as "can not", so that should show 'em!)

Seriously, I must admit that I'm more than a bit jealous of teachers who
need to concern themselves with such matters, while I'm still trying to
convince 5 pointers that the present progressive CANNOT/ CAN NOT/CAN'T be
used in place of the present simple, as in the following case: I am always
coming late to English class. {Ed. comment: That's probably why you haven't
learned the difference between the simple and progressive tenses!}

Shabbat Shalom,
Batya