[etni] Bagrut Exams

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 06:16:03 -0700 (PDT)

Just to add my two cents worth, I too am exhausted after yesterday's exams (and
still am, for that matter). The person in charge of exams in our school was
also ready to drop. By us, we had students taking all levels of the old format
Bagrut, as well as Modules A-C. Thank G-d, those modules were OK, although my
students' main complaint was that they wasted so much time. Let's face it, most
students don't need close to an hour and a quarter to finish each module, and
top that off with a half-hour wait, and you have lots of kids going absolutely
crazy. Yet the description posted about Modules E, F and G sound a lot worse. I
think that now all the schools will have to decide on a new test-taking policy
so as not to subject their students to such a long testing schedule.

I can't comment on Modules E, F and G as I haven't seen them yet. I agree with
all the comments on complaints about the 4 and 5-point tests. While I didn't
see any of my students in tears, most of them emerged pale and sweating, and a
couple (good students) immediately asked to be signed up for Moed Bet. Not a
good sign.

Regarding the suggestion of teachers proctoring, I agree with the person who
posted that we work hard enough as it is. Just for the record, I didn't have
ONE 11th or 12th grade lesson cancelled on me this whole year! The only day I
had off from teaching them was the day before the Bagrut. Yes, it's true that
now I'll have a little bit of vacation, although I will still have a few double
and triple lessons with my 11th (as of now, anyway). Maybe I'm wrong, but after
marking umpteen thousand Bagrut practice books, Matkonot, compositions,
unseens, etc. etc. and giving in about 90 Magen grades, I feel I'm entitled to
some rest.

Still wiped out from the experience,
Rivka