[etni] A dangerous misconception

  • From: skbyk <skbyk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 21:53:30 +0300

This is in response to a comment Batya's made in one of her recent emails in
which she states:  "I fear for the future of ESL education in our country".
Without denying the importance of the continuing dialogue regarding the log,
this comment, unfortunately, reflects an even more fundamental issue and gross
misconception that has been inculcated and perpetuated, first by the Ministry
and now, I hope unwittingly, by many teachers.

The misconception that I am referring to is that in Israel we can teach English
as a second language. This is a misinterpretation of the meaning of the term
and one that is doubtless responsible for the Ministry's attempt to import L2
methodologies and 'shortcuts' from the U.S. and other native English-speaking
countries.

 In Israel, English is not the predominant language to which our population is
exposed in schools or outside their homes and immediate neighborhoods. Unlike
Spanish-speaking and often ghetto-living immigrants to the U.S., in Israel,
Hebrew is our immigrants' 'second' language; and both for them and our
native-born Hebrew speakers, English is a FOREIGN language; and needs to be
taught as such.

I don't have the statistics, but I would guess that the majority of English
teachers in this country are not native English speakers and know from their
own experiences that, for most people, learning a foreign language requires a
great deal of discipline (self and class) and very hard, repetitive work.
Moreover, despite the Ministry's 'New Age' slogans and the cartoon (and usually
very distracting) textbooks, in the real world (our classrooms), not everybody
can succeed in internalizing vocabulary and intuiting the grammatical and
syntactical structures of a language which is not their own; and, NO amount of
English-language television exposure or wishful, 'there must be an easier way',
thinking will change that.

This is not to say that the language-learning classroom need be boring or rigid
or uncreative, but it's we, the teachers, that make those differences, not
Ministry policies and mistaken, misleading definitions.  So Batya, don't fear
for the future of ESL in Israel – it shouldn't have a future.

As to EFL, well let's hope that a new broom will sweep away the nonsense and
make it possible for the teachers to return the schools and classrooms to
places of discipline, learning and education and not just 'bagrut' assembly
lines.

 Stephen Byk

** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/