[etni] A Quote from Henry V -- still relevant today

  • From: harold <harold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 09:11:46 +0200

   Vis a vis today's Jerusalem Post headline:  "Teachers preparing for 'civil
disobedience':

    Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
    But he'll remember with advantages
    What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
    Familiar in his mouth as household words
    Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
    Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
    This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

    Act V, sc. 3, Henry V

and from Martin Luther King:
"
2) Nonviolent resistance does not seek to defeat or humiliate the opponent, but
to win his friendship and understanding. The nonviolent resister must often
express his protest through noncooperation or boycotts, but he realizes that
noncooperation and boycotts are not ends themselves; they are merely means to
awaken a sense of moral shame in the opponent. The end is redemption and
reconciliation. The aftermath of nonviolence is the creation of the beloved
community, while the aftermath of violence is tragic bitterness.

LETTER FROM BIRMINGHAM JAIL*
April 16, 1963 FROM "LETTER FROM A BIRMINGHAM JAIL "
You may well ask: "Why direct action? Why sit-ins, marches and so forth? Isn't
negotiation a better path?" You are quite right in calling, for negotiation.
Indeed, this is the very purpose of direct action. Nonviolent direct action
seeks to create such a crisis and foster such a tension that a community which
has constantly refused to negotiate is forced to confront the issue. It seeks
so to dramatize the issue that it can no longer be ignored. My citing the
creation of tension as part of the work of the nonviolent-resister may sound
rather shocking. But I must confess that I am not afraid of the word "tension."
I have earnestly opposed violent tension, but there is a type of constructive,
nonviolent tension which is necessary for growth. Just as Socrates felt that it
was necessary to create a tension in the mind so that individuals could rise
from the bondage of myths and half-truths to the unfettered realm of creative
analysis and objective appraisal, we must we see the need for nonviolent
gadflies to create the kind of tension in society that will help men rise from
the dark depths of prejudice and racism to the majestic heights of
understanding and brotherhood...

In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law, as would the rabid
segregationist. That would lead to anarchy. One who breaks an unjust law must
do so openly, lovingly, and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit
that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust and who
willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience
of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest
respect for law...

Of course, there is nothing new about this kind of civil disobedience. ..To a
degree, academic freedom is a reality today because Socrates practiced civil
disobedience. In our own nation, the Boston Tea Party represented a massive act
of civil disobedience.