[etni] 5 days a week / 8 hours a day

  • From: "Vera and Yacov Lachmanovich" <lachmanovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:19:23 +0200

 Dear Colleagues, as we can hear every day in the news, the Dovrat committee
has almost finshed their work. I've just read Tina(?) Waldmann's mail and I
agree that if want to prevent some things from happening, we have to make
ourselves heard very clearly and very loudly. There are many things I don't
like about the conclusions of the  committee but the one that upsets me the
most and has brought me to the point of having decided to do something about
is the fact that we will have to spend 8 hours a day 5 days a week in
school.The rationale behind it is that we should have time to meet with
students in small groups and have team meetings etc. in school.
Theoreticallythis sounds great. Who wouldn't be happy to come home at four
o'clock knowing that he finished all his work at school? The problem is that
Dovrat doesn't realize a few things: 1) A good teacher  spends hours
preparing his lessons. He spends time preparing materials that are suitable
for his classes, updated, relevant, interesting etc. In order to be
creative,most people need not to be tired and most people need a place where
they can think quietly and organize their thoughts. 2) A teacher has books,
notebooks, dictionaries, old files, new files, newspapers etc. which he
needsin order to prepare his lessons, tests, etc. If Mr. Dovrat promises me
that next year every teacher will have a room at school where he has a
telephone (to speak with parents and other teachers), a computer (to write
his workpages, tests, quizzes, grades, connected to the internet on account
of the school and connected to the Manbason for the grades), several book
shelves where he can put all his books, dictionaries, files etc , drawers
where he can keep all the tests, book reports and quizzes he has corrected,
aplace where he can keep all the handouts he has prepared for the following
day, if Mr. Dovrat promises me all this ,I will gladly accept his offer and
empty a room at home reserved for this purpose. But that's not all. It seems
that nobody in this committee realizes that teachers are not machines and
that after 6 hours of frontal teaching and 1-2 hours of meetings with small
groups of students teachers cannot be creative and prepare interesting,
challenging lessons which suit the demands of the modern classroom.) By the
way , what about "mifal haazana lemorim")? I think we should write letters
toall the newspapers, radio and TV. We could for example invite them to come
and see us one week at work. I'd like them to see what I do at home and at
school!  I've had enough! I love my profession. I want to go on teaching for
many years but under the conditions Dovrat proposes I think that I'd rather
be a housewife or a secretary. If you agree with me, tell  the list what you
are prepared to do. I think that it is important that people from the field
make themselves heard, people who have no political intentions. It is OUR
FUTURE we are talking about! Yours Vera
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! MSN Messenger[1] Download
today it's FREE!

--- Links ---
   1 http://g.msn.com/8HMBEN/2737??PS=47575