[estiv] lung surface tissue, ADME survey, ECVAM recommendation, Drug discovery tools, nice cell movie

  • From: "Valk, J.B.F. van der (Jan)" <j.vandervalk@xxxxx>
  • To: "'estiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <estiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:46:43 +0000

[cid:image001.jpg@01CD1D7A.747AE880]

Big Advance Against Cystic Fibrosis: Stem Cell Researchers Create Lung Surface
Tissue in a Dish<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120405224843.htm>

Harvard stem cell researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) have
taken a critical step in making possible the discovery in the relatively near
future of a drug to control cystic fibrosis (CF), a fatal lung disease that
claims about 500 lives each year, with 1,000 new cases diagnosed annually.

ADME/T Survey: We need your expert opinion!

We are a group of graduate students at the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied
Life Sciences (KGI;
http://www.kgi.edu/<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekgi%2Eedu%2F&urlhash=leG8&_t=tracking_anet>)
 in Claremont, California. As part of our team master's project, we want to
identify opportunities for improving preclinical ADME/TOX testing. In order to
better understand the needs of scientists such as yourself, we have devised a
survey, which should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Although the
time commitment is minimal, your contribution may have a substantial impact on
the development of new preclinical ADME/TOX technologies. To take the survey,
please click on this link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ADMET<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esurveymonkey%2Ecom%2Fs%2FADMET&urlhash=N8oh&_t=tracking_anet>
ECVAM Recommendation (12 March 2012): Three Cell Transformation Assays using
Syrian Hamster Embryo Cells (SHE) and the BALB/c 3T3 Mouse Fibroblast Cell Line
for In Vitro Carcinogenicity
Testing.<http://ihcp.jrc.ec.europa.eu/our_activities/alt-animal-testing/eurl-ecvam-recommendations/EURL-ECVAM%20-Recommendation.pdf>

The aim of EURL ECVAM recommendation is to provide EURL ECVAM's views on the
validity of the test method(s) in question in addition to advice on possible
regulatory applicability (e.g., OECD Test Guideline), limitations and proper
scientific use of the test methods, and to suggest possible follow-up
activities.
EURL ECVAM coordinated a validation study of three in vitro Cell Transformation
Assays (CTA) using Syrian Hamster Embryo cells (SHE) and the BALB/c 3T3 Mouse
Fibroblast cells for the prediction of the carcinogenic potential of chemicals.
The completion of the study was followed by a recommendation by the EURL ECVAM.
Publication date: 14 March 2012
Link: EURL ECVAM
Recommendation<http://ihcp.jrc.ec.europa.eu/our_activities/alt-animal-testing/eurl-ecvam-recommendations/EURL-ECVAM%20-Recommendation.pdf>

Integrated Drug Discovery Tools (open
access)<http://www.sciclips.com/sciclips/drug-targets-all.do>

Unique open access databases for drug discovery research: Therapeutic drug
targets, Potential drug targets, Combination therapy, Therapeutic and
experimental drugs, Cancer biomarkers, Drug discovery news, Drug discovery
protocols and Blogs. Link:
http://www.sciclips.com/sciclips/drug-targets-all.do<http://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esciclips%2Ecom%2Fsciclips%2Fdrug-targets-all%2Edo&urlhash=BLoR&_t=tracking_anet>

Nice movie: The Inner Life of the
Cell<http://www.labroots.com/app/videos/view/223?goback=%2Egde_2788924_member_105977135>

You can also inform or consult the ESTIV membership by sending your mail to:
estiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:estiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Please join the ESTIV group on LinkedIn so others can contact you directly and
are immediately updated when you change address and/or position.

Jan van der Valk, PhD
ESTIV list owner

3Rs-Centre Utrecht Life Sciences, and NKCA
Dept. Animals in Science and Society
Fac. Veterinary Medicine
Email: J.vanderValk@xxxxx

JPEG image