[ergo] Issues

  • From: John Fallows <john.fallows@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ERGO Beta List <ergo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:28:14 -0700

From Chris Altwegg
==================
Just noticed in the latest round of updates, that on my WinXP Pro machine,
if the radio is off (NRD535D) when I open ERGO and I then try to quit E4,
the process will close the database window and then just hang.  I have to do
a "close task" to get it to quit.  Radio on, it works just fine, quitting
instantly.  Radio off, hangs there. Not sure, but I think it was doing this
with .34 version also.  Weird?

Chris, this may be a problem with the Borland Database Engine (BDE).  Does
the data window open and close ok if there is no receiver present?
Conversely, does the Radio window open and close ok if there is no database
loaded?  See my earlier notes today on the *possible* need to update the BDE
to version 5.1.1 for use in XP, and the update I posted.  (Unfortunately,
this requires a reinstallation.)

From Neal Burnham re running the R8B under Win2000 with Winbook.
No joy - regedit resets properly, I reinstall nealo R8B on COM1 and say
"view nealo" and get the same result..."could not connect".  I am running
win2000 on a Winbook (somewhat non-standard drivers). It is curious that
ergo3 runs fine on same machine, no change.

Perhaps COM settings need tweaking from "System, device drivers"?

Neal.

This one has me stumped, Neal.    One thing you could do, if you feel
adventureous, is download a port sniffer program so we can see what is
happening at the serial port.  Then, you could e-mail me the log from that
program to review.  Do it once for E3 and a second time for E4 and I can
compare the behaviour to what is designed.  The sniffer program I user is
PortMon.  It is free and available from http://www.sysinternals.com.  Make
sure that you download the Windows 2000 Version.

After installation, you just Run PortMon before you start ERGO , then run
Ergo and try to open the receiver, then shut Ergo down and Portmon will
capture what is happening.  Then, you save the log in PortMon and mail it to
me.  The settings in portmon you need are under the Capture menu: Set Ports
to capture the Serial Port you are using, and make sure "Capture Events" is
checked.

The following addresses have changed:
 john.fallows@xxxxxxxx - change to john.fallows@xxxxxxx
 creativexpress@xxxxxxxx - change to creativexpress@xxxxxxx