[enableit] HTML - the language of the web - and how the schools should use it..

  • From: Vimal Joseph <vimaljoseph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "schoolgnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <schoolgnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "enableit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <enableit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:48:09 +0530

Hi All,

In 24 December 1999, HTML 4.0 Specifications are released by W3C
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/) One of the major addition to the html
was the introduction of styles
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/styles.html) It helped the web
developers a great flexibility, the data can be separated from the
presentation.

etc to name the few) See http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_styles.asp

Now html 5.0 is in almost finished state, most latest browsers supports
most of the html 5.0 features. See  http://www.20thingsilearned.com/ for
a html 5.0 website.

The sad state is that our children are still far behind html 4.0, they
are not allowed to use style sheets in the web page design competitions.
In a recent circular on IT Mela prohibits the use of javascript and
style sheets on the web design competition. (Ban on JS is OK I believe,
but how can they do html with out styles?)

Regards,

~vimal

--
Libarate your documents, Celebrate document freedom day 2010
Use OpenOffice : http://openoffice.org