Re: shred plugin

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:51:45 +1000

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:28:27 +0200
Liviu Andronic <landronimirc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:45:59 +0200
> > "0.akowalski" <0.akowalski@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> You also have my plus one ;-)
> >
> > I hope we all realise that this will really be just a more-sophisticated
> > approach to security-by-obscurity. AFAIK there's no bullet-proof and
> > widely-available approach to forcing multiple, nearly-simultaneous
> > overwrites, or dealing with OS page-files.
> >
> I've now played around with the new Shred plugin and applying it on a
> file yielded the following:
> Failed to remove
> /tmp/1001-emelfm2-svn-unpack.tmp~1/bcrypt-master/Makefile - Success
>
> Is this expected?

No, the appended "success" is a glitch.

> Furthermore, I peeked at the source code (I couldn't yet find docs for
> the plugin) and it seems to me that this is a home-grown
> implementation for a shredding algorithm. Is there a good reason to
> not just re-use the thoroughly tested shred command that comes with
> most Linux distros (and allow for some plug-in config options, like
> nature of rewrite---zeros or pseudo-randoms---and nr of rewrites)?

For the reasons described in recent posts on this list, among other places -
multiple overwrites are more fantasy than reality in too many contexts.

The plugin does these:
 * for a 'normal' file, change the file size randomly (bigger)
 * fill the revised file with random content (or for links, a random target)
 * for all types of item, change the name randomly
 * put the item into /tmp or somewhere like that where lots of files would be
 * change the mtime and atime randomly
 * if possible, change some permissions
 * finally - delete it

So, good luck with getting it back !