Re: Feature request: Confirm when you copy/move big files or folders

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 21:45:14 +1000

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:50:44 +0900
UTUMI Hirosi <utuhiro78@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I accidentally copied a big movie file (2 GB) to another place.
> It took 30 seconds to comlete it. :-/
>
> I would be happy if emelfm2 has an option in "file actions" that
> Confirm when you copy/move files or folders bigger than [variable] MB
Hirosi, I can add some stuff to provide this sort of check, but if so, would
make it buildable with a specific #define, instead of part of the default code.

IMO this change is not so central, as:
- the situation probably happens not too often
- it's a bit annoying to have to wait, but it's not fatal to any content
- you can specify a timeout limit for file operations, some number of seconds
that suits you
- if an overwrite is involved, there would be 2 dialogs, which is a bit clumsy
- the cpbar plugin does allow pausing and stopping

In the code there's a function to stop a running task, but that's not exposed
for the user to bind to a keypress etc. Might make more sense to make that
publicly available, in case the timeout is not in operation.

Should I go ahead ?