Re: A couple of things...

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 00:23:06 +1000

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:31:19 +0100 (IST)
"Sadako" <sadako@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 23:25:08 +0200

> >> files
> >> opens

> >> of things and then activate them. With the context menu, at least you
> >> have to think again about what you're doing.
> >> >
> >> On this point it was once suggested on this list to use a <ctrl>+enter
> >> binding which triggers by default (I think) the open.with dialogue,
> >> which has preselected the default file.open action. This is how I go
> >> around the "safety blanket".
> > Seems to me that this approach would save the user just one <Down>
> > keypress compared to opening a context menu.
> >
> > <Ctrl>p (for file lists) or menu-key (anywhere) will open a context menu
> > from the keyboard.
>
> I know I can just bring up a menu, but it's not _quite_ as convenient...
>
> I had a look through the mailing list, couldn't find anything related in
> any of the previous topics so it must be hidden in one of the many long
> "new release" threads, which I'll search through later.
It may have been off-list.

> What would be just perfect is if there was an alternative keybinding to
> open _all_ files selected rather than just the first one, similarly
> another thing which could be useful is if you could select which of the
> apps associated with a file to open that filetype with, for example by
> providing "2" as an argument to file.open to have it open the file(s) with
> the second app in that filetype's list, and by defaulting to the first it
> wouldn't even change the default behaviour as it is now.
file.open essentially pops up a dialog. Any argument for that action (including
your example, 2) will look like an item to be processed, unless there are some
arbitrary rules introduced about what item-names cannot be (which would be
unpleasant).

> I absolutely understand why this (safety blanket) is the default
> behaviour, it is a sensible default, but a simple way around it would be
> nice for those who know what they're doing (or at least, those who like to
> believe they do ;) ).
We'd end up with a bunch of extra actions, and need a process to check whether
each one was actually valid when it is used. Sorry, but I remain unconvinced
that all that would be worth it.

Be stoic, use the menu ...

Going back to another message - is there anything further about the cd-related
crashes ?