[EMAS] migrants in West Asheville

  • From: Jamie Harrelson <jharrelson84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EMAS Sightings <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 13:40:58 -0400

Every spring, around early May, I look forward to seeing which migrants
stop over in our yard on their way north. We have a large spruce in the
front yard that attracts something good every year -- usually Cape May
Warbler, which we've had singing in the yard for the past several days.
Today I added Bay-breasted Warbler to our yard list (spotted briefly in the
top of the spruce, and heard singing) and we also have a Blackpoll Warbler
singing nearby, which I caught a glimpse of in the neighbor's black walnut
tree.

Last Wednesday, I added Yellow Warbler to the "extended yard" list after I
heard one singing and finally spotted it in an oak across the street.

While we don't get nearly the variety or numbers of birds that Gail, Doug,
and others observe in their yards, it's still exciting to see what turns up!

Jamie Harrelson
Asheville, NC