[EMAS] Weekend Update from WNC

  • From: Simon Thompson <simonrbt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx" <carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 12:13:01 -0400

Folks
Quite a busy weekend up here in the Asheville area. The big flocks of
Blue-winged Teal that were grounded by the bad weather have moved on, with
just a handful still being present on various lakes.
I visited several of the more poplar birding sites in the area: Jackson
Park and Hooper Lane, both in Henderson County and here are the highlights:

Jackson Park- (October 5)
11 Warblers including Bay-breast, Hooded and Yellow-rumped
3 Vireos, including Philadelphia (1)

Hooper Lane (October 5)
Marsh Wren (2), Sedge Wren (1)

North Asheville (October 6)
White-throated Sparrow (1); Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2)

Our next Day-trip concentrates on sparrows with a trip to Kituwah near
Cherokee with Aaron Steed on October 11
http://birdventures.com/WonderfulWorldSparrows.html

Simon

Simon RB Thompson