[EMAS] WWC & Hooper Ln.: Lincoln's Ss, Marsh Ws - 10/5, 10/6/14

  • From: Steve Ritt <stevenmritt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 06:30:21 +0200

I made a quick run around the Warren Wilson College field below the red WWC
barn yesterday before sunset and had:
Lincoln's Sparrow - at least 4
Grasshopper Sparrow - 1
Swamp Sparrow - 11 (scattered elsewhere locally, but this seemed like a
good number for early October)
Bobolink - 2

Today, I had a Marsh Wren on private property near the Asheville Airport,
and re-found one of Simon T's Marsh Ws at Hooper Lane. Wayne F. had two
Lincoln's Sparrows and a Peregrine Falcon at Hooper. A few Bobolink remain.
The winds kicked up, and I headed to Jackson Park.

Jackson Park was absolutely dead. I ended up with eight warblers today
overall. Neotropical migrant activity has really died out fast in the past
few days.

I kicked up a Wilson's Snipe off Hwy. 25 in Mountain Home.

Some of you know that botany was my first natural passion way before I got
into birds. Some of you may know that I have been passionate about growing
rare, native woodland medicinal plants for years in Madison County. I have
always been aware of the risks involved with doing this, but I finally got
hit hard last week. I suppose I'm in shock. I haven't let it set in yet,
but I lost 1/2 an acre of the most beautiful, healthy, simply amazing
seven-year-old American Ginseng ever. It was poached clean by my neighbors
days before I got back in town. I'm absolutely heartbroken. The holes in
the ground hurt like holes in my heart. The monumental monetary loss is one
thing, but the years of love, labor, and hope that I have lost from this
are absolutely crushing. I will never see that land the same way again. It
was the prime motivation for my buying the land, and it was my deepest
dream to cultivate this land into a productive sanctuary. Perhaps some of
you have experienced this loss, and perhaps some of you are considering
growing. Take warning. The risks are real. They're getting higher. The
future of our native medicinal plants is dismal.

A few recent pics are attached.

Steve Ritt
Asheville, NC