[EMAS] Urban Broad-winged Hawks and American Bittern

  • From: Bill Steiner <acogbilly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 08:44:09 -0400

A pair is nesting (?) on the east slope of Town Mountain along Vance Gap Road.
 I see them wheeling around from my front porch most mornings.

A second pair is behind my house on the west slope of Cisco Mountain.  My
neighbor, Steve Longnecker, has a couple of injured hawks that he shows to
elementary school classes and the Broad-wings come by evey day or so and yell
at the cages.

A third pair can be seen flying across I-240 near Wal-Mart - often with
nestling birds in their talons.

American Bittern yesterday at 5pm in the rushes on the east side of the upper
pond at Owen Park.       cheers,   bill