[EMAS] Sugar Creek Gap, May 11, 2012

  • From: Chris Kelly <kellych74@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 14:31:51 -0400

Highlights were yellow-bellied sapsuckers, adult female sharp-shinned hawk,
golden-winged warbler.  Least flycatchers are fairly common in this part of
Jackson Co (south of Parkway, west of NC 215).

Also, I realize I omitted my name from my previous email: an eBird post
about birds at Biltmore Estate this morning.

Chris Kelly, Asheville, NC

 Sugar Creek Gap, Jackson, US-NC
May 11, 2012 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Bird survey for focal species. Noted other species, but did not
count individuals.
27 species

Sharp-shinned Hawk  1     Low fly-over across shrubby field and
perched in tree.
Female by size. Adult by plumage.
Chimney Swift  3
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2     2 counter-drumming, in the woods downslope of
Sugar Cr. Gap.
Least Flycatcher  X     three or more.
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Carolina Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  X
White-breasted Nuthatch  X
Veery  1
Gray Catbird  X
Brown Thrasher  1
Cedar Waxwing  X
Ovenbird  1
Golden-winged Warbler  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  X
Chestnut-sided Warbler  X
Black-throated Blue Warbler  X
Black-throated Green Warbler  1
Canada Warbler  X
Eastern Towhee  X
Chipping Sparrow  X     In small grove of spruce at gap.
Field Sparrow  X
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  X
Indigo Bunting  X
American Goldfinch  X