[EMAS] Mills River Geese

  • From: "Jeff Lemons" <birdsalot@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 01:19:26 +0000

I stopped by Mills River late this afternoon to check for Geese. At the water
treatment plant there was one Snow Goose but no Ross's Goose.

The Snow Goose was hunkered down with what appeared to be two Greater
White-fronted Geese.  The two apparent White-fronted's and the Snow Goose never
stood up and had their bills tucked almost the entire time I was there, only
lifting them for a few seconds a couple of times for inspection.  Neither
appeared to be the domestic hybrid look alike that has been hanging out here. I
didn't notice any of the white around the eyes that the domestic bird shows.
One of the birds was slightly larger than the other, both were smaller than the
Snow Goose.  There was also a domestic Graylag in the back hanging out with a
different set of Canada Geese.

Has anyone else been here recently that might confirm or not the second Greater
White-fronted Goose?  I would have liked a much better view of the Greater
White-fronted Geese.  I did get a good enough look on the Snow Goose to
eliminate Ross's as it had a big head, big bill and large grin patch.

There was also another small flock of geese just west of the Mills River Park,
but nothing unusual with them.

Jeff Lemons
Charlotte, NC